Monday, January 11, 2016

Flexible Seating

Through research and discussion with other teachers near and far I made a decision at the beginning of the year that students needed the opportunity to work how they learn best. Through Donors Choose I was able to get four stand up desks, which was step one. After using and implementing the four stand up desks I have now implemented step two, more flexible seating. Students can now come in the classroom in the morning, pick up their pencil can and choose a spot that will allow them to work at their best today. They may chose from a stand up desk, Wobble chair at a table, bean bag chair and short table, bean bag chair and clipboard, rocking chair, comfy chair, or the rug with a clipboard. Wherever they chose, they should chose a spot that they can do their best learning at. As adults many of us would rather work at a stand up desk, in a comfy office chair, or quite possibly even the couch. I no longer want to expect my students to have to sit in a hard chair, if that is not how they want to learn. With this new classroom environment there are new things that we are learning, but after day one of flexible seating, I believe already that this is what is best for our classroom. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. You are always welcome to stop in and volunteer for an afternoon too and see what it is all about. If you want more information on our Donors Choose page, head to www.donorschoose.org/mrssmith121, I currently have a project for some odds and ends for our classroom, including lap desks for flexible seating. PS: If anyone has some fun chairs that they'd be willing to donate to our classroom for the rest of the year, let me know. We're happy to have more options!